Tuesday, October 13, 2009

not for ones with a significant half

I could probably count the number of times my dad reminded me not to get myself commited with anyone before I do my degree. An estimate? About a 1000 times.
So it's understandable that my no-commitment attitude is permanently etched onto my skin.
A scoff would be expected as soon as you read the word 'dad' at the first sentence, but before you start scrolling away, let me elaborate that studies werent involved within his reasons for liberty.
His main reason? Opportunity costs. Economists, please stand up.
Opportunity costs are basically the alternatives that you miss out on when youre focussed on something else.
In this case, my dad didnt want me to catch a fish and show it off out in the open.
He still wanted me to feed the other fishes in the sea.
He didnt want me to close up shop and hang the CLOSED sign slapbang on the front door. He wanted me to stay open 24/7 like Seven Eleven. And perhaps sell some real good-tasting slurpees while we're at it.
Hence this explains why most of my past relationships would consist of me persistenly telling my boyfriends to date other girls and hell, you can even go third base if you want- while they, on the other hand wouldnt return the same offer to me. Which is a bit unfair dont u agree?
I dont know. Maybe I'm just having a bad day. Maybe I'm just being realistic and a commitment non-believer. Or maybe I'm just goddamn cynical.

No comments:

Post a Comment